Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My First Thanksgiving

Well tomorrow is D-Day folks.  My very first role as the Thanksgiving hostess. 

Sgt. and I just had the wedding of our dreams down in Texas which meant frequent trips by me, and a good amount of money spent by us both so to save my employer from any more heart attacks by asking off and to save money by not traveling - we're staying home.  Our first Thanksgiving as a married couple.  We've invited over some friends who couldn't make it home for the holiday either so we should have a nice little group of ROTC cadets and their significant others along with a friend from work, her husband and her little girl.

So, here's a little preview of our menu (so that you can say a prayer for me)

Appetizers:
Deviled Eggs
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Pepperoni and bacon puff balls

Dinner:
Turkey (and yes, I am cooking it in a bag)
(possibly also a spiral ham)
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar and pecans - not the one with marshmallows)
Mashed potatoes (made by one of the guests)
My Grandma's stuffing
Rolls

Dessert:
Mississippi Mud Pie
DAR's Carmel Apple Pie
Pumpkin pie (brought by a guest)

Most of the recipes I have stolen from online (one being from a blogger :) ) other than the stuffing.  As far as the turkey goes - I got one of those pop up timers, and so far everyone has just said to stuff it with whatever I want... so I'm putting garlic, apples, celery, cilantro, onion, butter, and seasoning in it.  Any other suggestions?  Any ideas on ANYTHING?  Really, I will take all the tips I can get.  For example... I'm wondering how to keep the spinach dip warm while it's sitting out without sending it back to the microwave every thirty minutes.  Also, any wine recommendations? Like I said any tips for the newly wed would be great!

I hope you all have a fabulous turkey day!  Oh, and how do you like the new look?!