Friday, February 15, 2008

Some things never change.... but lots of things do.

Well, I sure hope everyone out there survived Valentines Day without too much incident. Sgt. did in fact send me an e-mail... both when Thursday arrived in Iraq and when Thursday arrived back here in the states. I was quite content when all of a sudden my phone rings later that afternoon "Hey darlin'"

I love the sound of his voice.

I was pretty surprised he was able to call actually, I was expecting him to be "out" for a couple more days but I was thrilled none the less. (Not because it was Valentines Day, but because it was the first time I'd gotten to hear that southern draw in a week.) While we were on the phone, in the background I could hear the relentless sound of water smashing into the CHU with impressive force. Seems like the Iraqi sky was a bit angry that evening. "It's raining here babe so the connection might not be great, the internet is running really slow." I smile when he says this. Ever the soldier, he always gives me a sitrep prior to any normal conversation. "haha, it's fine honey." The delay is longer today so at points we talk over each other but it's ok, just another of many things we've worked out between us over the last few months. We can now talk over each other but still hear what the other said. I suppose it's a "training of the ear" of sorts.... lots of skills are born out of necessity. Of course we still do the occasional..

"sorry, what did you say?"
"wha wha wha wha"
"*silent thinking trying to guess/decipher*.... sorry hon, I still didn't hear that"
"Hooowwww wwaaassss yyyoooouuuurrrr ddddaaaayyyyy"

We began talking and catching up on the last week. Not a whole lot to report on either side but we somehow didn't have trouble finding things to talk about. He's doing good! While we were on the phone he was opening the Valentines Day package I sent him, I heard him get really quiet so I asked what he was doing.

"reading the journal you sent" - he was talking about the "thank you for..." thing I made for him, (I talked about it a few posts back and one of these days I'll figure out how to link a post but I'm kind of being lazy right now.)

I listened as he read and smiled at the different memories each one brought up. The rain in the background didn't seem so angry anymore.... now it just seemed calming. We laughed together at the funny ones and I could hear him sigh with a sense of longing at the more intimate ones. It was then that I got quiet. So of course, in true Sgt. fashion he asks

"what are you thinking about?"
"you"
"oh yeah? Whys that?"
"I don't know really, I still can't figure it out, it happens all the time though." - I tend to make sarcastic comments like that in the middle of a situation nearing emotion... I have yet to decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. - "no, I was actually thinking about this day last year.".............

Last year Sgt. was getting ready to PCS to Germany. The entire week prior to Valentines Day he had been packing, making sure everything was in order, processing, and all that fun stuff that goes along with moving to another country (military style). He had been up, safe to say, till at least 3 or 4 every morning. Valentines day gets there; it's coincidently his last day on post as well. After that day, he was going on leave for three weeks and then moving to Germany. Valentines Day was going to be the last evening we would spend together before I saw him off at the airport. The fact of the holiday is not really the important part. It just happened to fall on that day. I was still in school and was supposed to have a biology test at 8:00 the next morning (notice how I said I was supposed to... I overslept and woke up about 10 min. till my test... I didn't want our last few min. rushed so I skipped it, and I don't regret it.). In spite of the fact that he was absolutely EXHAUSTED, he still wanted to make Valentines Day special. I tried to explain to him that it's not that big of a deal to me but he wasn't hearing it (I've mentioned how stubborn he is, right?). He did exactly what he set out to do, it was very sweet and very special and incredibly funny all at the same time, cause he could hardly keep his eyes open while eating the take out we ordered. haha. I still laugh thinking about it.

Fast forward back to present time. We began talking about this day last year, laughing about how tired he was and talking about the take out buffalo wings we picked up for dinner.

"I'm sorry I can't be there... I wish I could be, go all out for ya, you know that right?"
"I know honey, it's not a big deal, don't worry about it."
"Riiiigggghhhhttttt.... uh huh.... it's a big deal, it's ok."
"haha it's really not"
"it should be, it's ok if it is"
"you wana know what's a big deal?"
"what's that?"
"all that stuff in that journal you just read... that stuff is a big deal..... that's the important stuff; the rest of it is minor details."
"ha, very true"

We started talking about other things and then he had a knock at his door. He came back and he said...

"ya know, there are only two things that are still the same from the last Valentines day to this Valentines day."
"oh yeah? What's that"
"I still think you're amazing..... *pause* and I am also incredibly exhausted."
"hahahaha, gata be up early?"
"yep, and now even earlier."


We began our winding up of the phone call and said our goodbyes. He let me know his usual, when I might be able to expect to hear from him, and when I definitely shouldn't expect to hear from him. (also known as a tentative in and out schedule) and finally hung up the phone.

Ya know, there are only two things that remained the same for me (well, probably more than two but for the sake of witty writing I'll just say two.) from last Valentines Day to this one...

1. I still think he's amazing
2. I'm once again counting down the days till I get to be with him again.

**A few hours after our phone call, feeling particularly lucky that I just got to talk to him, a phone call comes to the office.

"Hi this is so and so with the flower shop. We have a delivery for KJ.."

He also sent me flowers. :) I'm a pretty lucky girl.

2 comments:

Jrzy Army Wife

aww that's so sweet I'm glad you got to talk to each other. Super cool about your flowers.

Katie

aw! Very cute! Glad you heard from him! I'll be adding you to my blog roll as well. :)