Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Straightening Irons are dangerous.

Living on your own has it's perks. After a life lived with multiple siblings and a constant room mate through college I was thrilled at the idea of living on my own. I am now a firm believer that every woman, atleast once in her life, should live on her own.

"you can never be lonely if you like the person you're alone with" - unknown

Among the many perks one has while living on their own, a specific one I've enjoyed is getting ready in the morning. I start my coffee, crank up some music and stand in front of a mirror in my underwear taking my time to start my day. (one of the many things Sgt. is dissapointed in not being home for) Well, on this particular morning, as I was getting ready, my mind must've been wandering. I straighten my hair near daily... and I have never once, in years, burnt myself with my straightner. There is a first time for everything. As I go to grab a piece of my hair I somehow, (I'm still not sure how) pinched my neck between the two hot irons of my Chi (straightner). I immediately released it but yelled in pain. It HURT! I then laughed at myself for the sheer absurdity of it all. How does someone not only burn themselves with a straightner but actually catch their neck in the grip of it?! As it does, the pain passed and left me two straight dark lines to remind me to be more careful in the future.

Sgt. called yesterday afternoon my time (night time for him). He was in good spirits and is doing good! He was tired though. Pretty common when he comes back in from being "out." I told him about the straightner incident because I think it's funnier more than anything else but of course his first reaction was "are you ok?" It's funny how they still worry about you when THEY'RE the ones involved in a war. It was a good phone call, hearing from him is always the highlight of my day/week. He let me know he missed me "more than you'd (I'd) believe"... it's always nice to hear that :). Don't get me wrong, I know he misses me. I know he cares about me. This *motions around the room as if it's my long distance military relationship* requires a lot of effort... you wouldn't (and shouldn't) do it unless it's something you're sure you want. So on a rational level I know he misses me. Sometimes though, a girl just wants to/needs to hear it. Luckily he's pretty good about letting me know. It's funny how the smallest things are cause for celebration. a 5 min. phone call, a 1 paragraph e-mail and I'm convinced God really loves me to have placed this guy in my life. This deployment, among many other things, has made me appreciate the things he does for me more than I could've ever thought possible. I'd like to think I never took him for granted, and I know I made it a point (and still do) to thank him for everything he says and does... but, I guess the old saying "you don't know what you have till it's gone" rings true. There's very little I wouldn't give to get to lay in bed with him on a Saturday morning talking about how we really should get up and do something.

"being apart from someone get easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw them, it's one day closer to the next time you do."

Everything else is going great. My friend Re, and also fellow military girlfriend, is dropping her man off at the airport today. Meeting Re has been a godsend. She's such a big support through all this. We can always relate to the other and usually if one of us is down the other is right there to pick her up. Anyway, her soldier went to visit her these last three days. He just got back from his 15 month deployment so WELCOME HOME Strom! I'm so glad she finally got to see his face and hug him. He leaves today so I'm looking forward to relishing in all the details :). Can't wait till it's my turn!

0 comments: