Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dog sitting.

Well today is the day I start my adventure in dog sitting. Their owners are on a 2 week vacation to New Zealand and asked if I wouldn't mind house sitting, dog sitting and plant sitting for a little while. I don't have much else going on so I said "sure!" Maybe if nothing else this will assuage my desire to get a dog. The way these two puppies are spoiled it wouldn't surprise me! Kind of like the whole babysitting episode reaffirmed my hold off on having children until later in life.

I went over to their house yesterday evening so they could show me where everything was and tell me about the dogs routines.... yes they have a "routine." I will most DEFINITELY be taking pictures of this little adventure and posting them. These two bundles of fur are not necessarily my type of dog, but they're cute in their own respects. Stay tuned for more on the adventures of KJ, Cricket, and Tooter. The human, the shitzu, and the westie. - Apparently Cricket only sleeps in bed with you, not in his own bed.... we will have to just see about that.

--

In other news, I think I have decided that I want to train for a triathlon. A girl at work asked me today if I would train with her for the one she's planning on doing in May and I thought that sounded like a fun idea. She actually told me I should sign up as well but I don't think I'll be ready in May.... I figure if I'm going to do this, I want to make sure I plan ahead. Seeing as my birthday is in August, I decided that August and my birthday would be a great goal to shoot for. I'm not 100% on it yet... but I enjoy working towards goals, and I've never done a triathlon so... why not? Haven't even mentioned it to Sgt. yet but I know he'll be encouraging.

Sgt. is doing good! Lots of e-mails back and forth lately but haven't talked to him on the phone since... well... whenever the last time I posted on here that I talked to him was. Is it bad that I lose track of that? *shrugs* I figure it's easier this way rather than losing my mind. There has been more talk of moving his R&R up till even SOONER that the sooner one. (Did that make sense?) I must admit, while "excited" and "ecstatic" were very clear emotions I felt upon hearing of this possibility "anxious" and "nervous" were also both very prevalent.

That's so... soon.

I know that sounds like a weird comment to make and please don't misunderstand IF it does happen sooner then YAY! I would be thrilled! Overjoyed! I'd see him YESTERDAY if I could... but when you haven't seen someone in over a year.... I think it's normal to be a little bit nervous. Are things going to be awkward? Will he still feel the same way? Will it be hard to readjust? Will I be able to say goodbye again? The answer is probably yes to all of them in some way or another. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I know nothing is ever guaranteed until he's actually here, I'm still planning on the further, original leave date and if it happens sooner than it's just an extra blessing.

Frankly, as long as he comes home safe, I'll wait as long as I need to.

For lunch today I had one of our favorite meals and was listening to my iPod when one of our favorite songs came on. I missed him. I went into my e-mail and reread some of the e-mails I've saved of his. I'm not having a bad day or even a sad day really, just miss him :-). Wish he was here to pick on or to go jogging with or to cook dinner for. I think people don't realize it's the little things that you miss the most when they're gone for so long. No worries though. :-) I'm glad I still have him to miss.

I'll keep y'all posted on the dog sitting situation... is it crazy that I'm a little bit scared that I might LITERALLY sit on one of them? They're so small!!

Oh - and exciting news!!
The post office now offers a larger (50% larger) Flat rate box and are offering a discounted price for shipment to an FPO or and APO. YAY! Thanks USPS.

Still no word on the package arriving in Iraq yet, and we'll have to wait until Easter to see if the Cascarones made it there safely. I don't know what I was thinking sending them.... I highly doubt they'll still be in tact but hey, it's worth a shot right?! :-)



2 comments:

The Mrs.

Thanks for the tip on the discounted flat rate! I mail stuff over for Soldiers Angels and its always nice to save a few bucks here and there... just means more to spend on what goes in the boxes.

What you were saying about R&R maybe being soon and feeling a little nervous is very normal. Or at least for me.. I dont know if that makes you feel any better! Even when flyboy is only gone for a couple months, the week before he is due home I'm so excited but at the same time there is a little trepidation. Will he think we've done good while he's gone? Cripes have I gained any weight? What if he's lost some? What if the boys act funny? So many what ifs, I think its normal. You just kinda roll with the punches and amazingly enough things just fall into place.

Good luck with the pet sitting. It sounds like its going to be very interesting!

Mrs. Mootz

Good luck with the dog sitting!!

My hub and I had known each other for about a month before he was deployed the first time. When he came hom on leave it was a weird feeling. I was really excited, but also really nervous and worried that only one month together before seven months apart just wouldn't work. However, the second he came through the terminal it all just went away and I was nothing but sooooo happy to see him. You'll be the same way. All the nerves just go away when you finally get to see and touch his face again.