Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Horses, maintenence workers, timelines, and other things that are dangerous.

This past weekend was pretty eventful. Well, if you call getting bucked off a horse eventful, most people would so I figured I'd classify it as such. Also, the maintenance man saw me in my underwear when I so carelessly opened the door to take out the trash early Saturday morning in a tank top and boy cut undies. It wouldn't have been so bad had he not openly and without abandon looked me up and down and smiled. Creepers. Oh well... such is life :).

The horse story goes like this: Saturday I invited Sgt.'s cousins out to go horseback riding with me. They really enjoy riding but hadn't been in years and since I love to ride and have been working with some of the horses out here I figured it would be fun for all of us! They came out and it was great! We all DID have a lot of fun. I've been working with a one eyed horse trying to get him used to that blind side and I suppose Saturday he had just had about enough of it. Had he ever given me cause for thinking otherwise I might have been more prepared (although I should've just been prepared anyway) but this was the first time he even crow-hopped on me, let alone actually bucked. Anyway, long story short, I was thrown off and landed with an impressive thud. No harm done. A few bruises and one very sore knee are about as serious as it gets. Got back up, Sgt.'s cousin chased down my horse (who then proceeded to trot back off to the stables... jerk), caught him, I got back on and we continued our riding. I would normally make some funny cliche comment here about when you fall off a horse you just have to get back on, or maybe something about Texans and horses but I'm not just channeling anything tonight. Sorry folks :). All is well, it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Later that evening I spent some time with Sgt.'s cousin. She is really more like his big sister than his cousin, and she's a good person to turn to when I might need a little extra boost in support or understanding. She's very honest, which is one of the reasons I like her so much, she won't sugar coat things. We had a great visit, just talked and she was able to give me a little bit of clarity into a deployment (being prior service herself and remembering how Sgt. was on his last one) and how certain things are to be expected. It was a detailed conversation, that I won't go into now but I will say that I walked away from it feeling lighter, yet stronger. They're such good people.

The past couple days I have been at a conference for work. I've really really enjoyed it!! The industry has such awesome people, everyone is so encouraging and kind, it's very inspiring. I didn't think with the way my schedule was today that I would even be able to e-mail Sgt. let alone talk to him, but it's funny how things work out :) I was able to do both!

Finally, a phone call after the failed "I'm tired" "well go to bed" conversation. What is that, a couple weeks? *sigh* I lose track. I try not to keep track of how long it's been for those types of things... it just makes me crazy. We got to talk for maybe 15 min and it was great! Just us, exactly how I like it to be. He's doing well, just really busy, is on a weird schedule right now but his morale seemed to be good which is important to me. He asked me what I thought about possibly moving his leave date up! Nothing is set in stone, and the way the Army works I probably wouldn't be at all surprised if tomorrow he said he wasn't even getting leave and then next week called me from the airport. Apparently someone wants to trade or something? I wasn't exactly positive, I just know we were discussing it because although seeing him earlier than planned would be an amazing and welcomed blessing... I also work at a job where summer IS 80% of my job. It would be hard taking off the time from work, even though I think my employers would be understanding. In the end though it all boiled down to, he's got the harder position, so I told him to do what he needed to do and I would figure out a way to make it work. I love it when he asks my opinion or for my input on things like this though. It would be very easy for him to say "she'll make it work" but instead he cares enough to ask if it's ok... to ask how it might affect me, even if it's not something he has a lot of control over (specific dates and such). I love that. At this point it's kind of a wait and see sort of thing. Either way will be fine with me! :)

Oh - and the other thing that is dangerous - giving blood. Don't get me wrong, I love to donate blood, and do it every 8 weeks... but every time, my arm/vein hurts for like 3-4 days afterwards. I think next time I'll give them the other arm.


Jrzy Army Wife

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that he gets to come home early. Also, I'm DEATHLY afraid of horses.. I had a tramatic experience on one when I was like 8 and I never got one again. It actually prolly wasn't that bad but I was 8 and it seemed bad at the time. Hope your not too black and blue.. and glad you weren't seriously hurt.


My goodness when you have an adventurous weekend you certainly go all out!

So glad that you got to have a "normal" conversation with him, it makes all the difference doesnt it?!